Once again, reproductive rights are under attack. With the Supreme Court poised to shift responsibility to the states to determine basic human reproductive rights, many states, such as Missouri and Kansas, could lose all access to abortion care. Since today is the National Day of Prayer, KCAC encourages our members to embrace the secular tradition of taking action to bring about change in the world instead of relying on a deity to do it for us. Below you will find suggestions for what actions you can personally take today to affect change in the world. A list of full-text links can be found at the end of this document.
What Can I do?
Write to your representatives to let them know how this legislation affects your life and the lives of people you know and love. Representatives respond better to personal letters than to copy-pasted templates, so give it some thought. It doesn’t have to be perfect, just let them know what’s on your mind.
How do I find my representatives?
- Visit the MyReps website to see who represents you on a local, state, and federal level.
- ResistBot – Text RESIST to 50409 (mobile carrier charges may apply). ResistBot will walk you through identifying your specific representatives. Be advised: This bot is experiencing high volumes of use right now and may require some patience from you. Your interactions may be put into a user queue, but the bot will inform you when it’s ready for you. Depending on your level of comfort, you may wish to include your voting district or locale when prompted to state your message, so your representatives can see you are, in fact, one of their constituents.
Whether it’s a one-time donation or an ongoing one, donations help organizations function and keep fighting for our rights. Here are some to consider:
- Center for Reproductive Rights
- Missouri Abortion Fund
- Kansas Abortion Fund
- Planned Parenthood of the Great Plains
- NARAL Pro-Choice America
Take the time to educate yourself about this, and any other topic that may be close to your heart. Knowledge is power and when we know what we’re talking about we are better equipped to assist. Planned Parenthood has a variety of educational resources and may be a good place to start.
Outside the Home:
Elections that affect our lives on a local and state level happen every single year and this year is no exception. This August and November don’t forget to make your voice heard!
- For Kansas voters– August 2nd of this year there will be a question about whether or not abortion will be a protected right under the state constitution. A yes vote would remove protections for abortion rights. A no vote would affirm the right to an abortion in Kansas. Click here for more info.
- For Missouri voters– August 2nd of this year is a primary election and Missouri will need to fill the soon-to-be empty Senatorial seat from Roy Blunt. Voting in the primary election will indicate who you would like to see go on to the general ballot in November, and who you would support as Missouri’s next Senator. Click here for more info.
Protest is one of the most visible and visceral ways to make your voice heard. When we gather to make a statement it shows local, state, and national government just how many people are willing to interrupt their normal days to throw their energy behind an issue.
- Take literature on voting and actions you can take to support the right to healthcare. Look for groups that support people who can become pregnant, and if possible, local healthcare providers that do the same. Listen to stories from survivors to broaden your perspective. Protests create solidarity, enhance organization, and provide education and direction. Come to a protest prepared to learn and network.
- Whether you’ve been to one protest or fifty, it’s important to know your rights as a protest participant. Visit the ACLU’s website to learn about your rights as a protester.
To quote Mr. Rogers, “Look for the helpers”. If there is an organization providing services that you find valuable, reach out to see if there are volunteer opportunities. Planned Parenthood of the Great Plains is currently looking for patient escort volunteers. Learn more here.
- MyReps website: https://myreps.datamade.us/
- Center for Reproductive Rights: https://secure3.convio.net/cfrr/site/Donation2?9666.donation=form1&df_id=9666&mfc_pref=T&s_src=21RRFR0421Nav&s_subsrc=datasync&autologin=true
- Missouri Abortion Fund: https://mofund.org/donate
- Kansas Abortion Fund: https://kansasabortionfund.org/
- Planned Parenthood of the Great Plains: https://www.weareplannedparenthood.org/onlineactions/cOJVhOyrzkq4uBcxVekXFA2?sourceid=1000065&affiliateID=090740&_ga=2.187060960.999618770.1651590136-100187561.1651174595
- NARAL Pro-Choice America: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/naral-pro-choice-america-2?refcode=web_deadline_direct_20210101maindbtn
- Planned Parenthood Educational Resources: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn
- Kansas Voters – August 2 Ballot Information: https://ballotpedia.org/Kansas_No_State_Constitutional_Right_to_Abortion_and_Legislative_Power_to_Regulate_Abortion_Amendment_(August_2022)
- Missouri Voters – 2022 Elections: https://ballotpedia.org/Missouri_elections,_2022
- ACLU Website – Your Rights as a Protester: https://www.aclu-mo.org/en/node/199#:~:text=The%20First%20Amendment%20protects%20many,%2C%20sculptures%20or%20puppets%2C%20etc
- Planned Parenthood of the Great Plains Patient Escort Volunteering: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/planned-parenthood-great-plains/get-involved/clinic-escort-program